Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you
Are you reading this article because you are a first-time parent of a pregnant dog? You are not alone at all. A Prenatal supplement is one of the most important things that your female canine companion can have when they are expecting puppies. These vitamins are an essential element to ensure that you will have a litter of healthy (and always adorable) puppies and provide a strong source of energy for your dog during pregnancy.
|Name||Picture||Price||Best Feature||Our Rating||Best Price|
|Revival Animal Health Breeders' Edge Prenatal Supplements||$||Fortified with iron, folic acid, and zinc||9.8/10||See Current Price|
|Waggedy Chewable Dog Supplement||$||Complete vitamin formula||9.5/10||See Current Price|
|Pet Honesty Dog Multivitamin||$||Has Joint Health Support||9.3/10||See Current Price|
|Zesty Paws Dog Multivitamin||$||Joint and Digestive Health||9.3/10||See Current Price|
|Dr. Bills Ultimate Dog Supplement||$||Veterinarian developed, natural ingredients||9.4/10||See Current Price|
What are Dog Prenatal Supplements
When a dog becomes pregnant, her body begins to use and deplete essential nutrients and minerals in order for her prospective litter to feed and grow. Prenatal dog supplements are made to provide a natural boost with various vitamins and minerals to keep your pregnant dog healthy and increase the health of her puppies.
What are the Benefits of Dog Prenatal Vitamins?
A dog prenatal supplement provide an additional source of such vitamins as calcium, proteins, and other sources to give your dog the energy and nutrition that she needs. It is suggested that you provide your pregnant dog with supplements during the first two-thirds of the pregnancy. It is also important to ensure that she receives a good amount of omega-3 fatty acids to promote healthy growth of the puppies. Vitamins helps with:
- Better and faster brain development
- Organ development
- Joint and muscle health
- Weight gain and helps achieve natural birthweight
- Helps overall health once out of the womb
What to Look for in a Canine Prenatal Supplement?
The most important thing to look for is the amount and types of vitamins that re in the supplements. You also want to see many vitamins come in one package or serving. Here are few things to think about before ordering a prenatal supplement.
Amount of Treats
This means how many chews are in the total order. Are you ordering a one month’s supply or a full term pregnancy supply. The more complete vitamins sometimes come in a lesser quantity.
Vitamins and Minerals
The type of vitamins in the supplements are really important. You especially want to look for Folic Acid and any Omega-3 fattty acids to help with brain development.
Go ahead and taste the supplements to make sure they are good, just kidding. One of the most frustrating things to go through is buying a supplement but dog won’t eat it so you have to supplement with other human food. Look at the reviews and make sure there aren’t any that dogs have a history of disliking the taste.
The Best Prenatal Supplements for Expecting Dogs
Revival Animal Health Breeders' Edge Prenatal Supplements
Summary: Revival Animal Health Breeders’ Edge Oxy Mate supplements are designed for medium and large dogs. Available in a count of 60 tablets, these supplements can be used for both dogs and cats alike.
- Well rounded supplement that contains a good diversity of nutrients.
- Specialized herbs for ease of birthing and uterine tone improvement.
- Optimizes growth of red blood cells and blood flow which are both vital for a dog to have the strength that she needs.
- Highest price on the list.
- Only for medium or large dogs if you have a smaller dog.
Waggedy Chewable Dog Vitamins
Summary: The Waggedy Chewable Dog Vitamins for Every Life Stage are supplements that are designed for every stage of a dog’s life from being a puppy to old age. These supplements are designed to taste like dog treats and are also easy to swallow when mixed with food.
- Great value for the product.
- The product is made in the USA.
- Contains a rich variety of nutrients that promotes good digestive activity, better muscle and bone growth, and stronger energy and health during pregnancy.
- May cause sickness in some dogs.
- The supplements may cause an odor.
Pet Honesty Complete Multivitamin
Summary: The 10 in 1 Dog Multivitamin is a brand of supplements that aim to promote a dog’s general longer-term health. The supplements come in a container of 90 tablets and are good for providing multiple benefits for your dog’s health.
- Good source of nutrients to boost a dog’s immune system and heart health.
- Contains vitamins that promote stronger joint health in your dog.
- Good value for the number of vitamin tablets.
- These supplements are more geared towards promoting general health in dogs rather than being specifically focused on prenatal health.
- May cause diarrhea and vomiting in some dogs.
Zesty Paws Dog Multivitamins
Summary: The Zesty Paws Multivitamin Treats for Dogs are supplements that also focus on the general maintenance of your dog’s overall health. These particular vitamins work for dogs of all breeds, ages, and sizes.
- Vitamins work universally with all dogs.
- One does not need to buy different variants of the same supplements with a specific focus on the age, size, or breed of your dog.
- Contains digestive and enzymes to reduce gas and diarrhea in dogs so that you do not need to Febreze your house.
- This supplement also does not seem to have a specialized focus on the prenatal health of your dog.
- Despite being designed to promote your dog’s heart health, this supplement may lack the focus on providing the energy that your dog will need during pregnancy.
Dr. Bills Ultimate Health Dog Supplment
Summary: Dr. Bill’s Canine Ultimate Fitness & Health is a brand of dog supplements that have been used by veterinarians, breeders, and trainers for 30 years. These particular dog supplements are made in the United States, maximize health potential in dogs and aid in the prevention of age-related conditions.
- Veterinarian developed, recommended, and governed by the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC).
- Contains quality nature-based nutrients to promote muscle strength, endurance, eye health, and overall health.
- Potential longevity with nutrient powder versus supplement tablets.
- The product is more focused on increasing performance in dogs rather than providing nutrition for pregnant dogs.
- Might have a little bit of a higher price for the quantity of the product that you received.
We all have different perspectives as to what type of supplements work best for our dogs that we love and cherish. Every dog is unique and it is important to choose the supplements that work best for you and your expecting companion so that you may fulfill your calling in being a dog parent.
Other Great Eco-Friendly Articles
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive …