Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you
As dog ownership in the US has been steadily rising over the past decades, so have trips to the vet. While many dogs only see their vet once a year, for other veterinary visits are a far more common occurrence. A vet may prescribe your dog a recovery cone for a variety of reasons, but what mainly matters to us owners is maximizing the speed and comfort of our pet’s recovery. For some pets, the standard plastic cone from the vet may do the trick, but other dogs do better to have a cone which is more finely tuned to their needs.
|Name||Picture||Price||Best Feature||Our Rating||Best Price|
|The Original Comfy Cone, Soft Pet Recovery Cone||$||Foam Padded, waterproof collar||9.6/10||See Current Price|
|FOCUSPET Dog Recovery Cone||$||Waterproof, soft material||9.7/10||See Current Price|
|Supet Dog Inflatable Pet Recovery Collar||$||Inflatable, lifetime warranty||9.4/10||See Current Price|
|ZenPet ProCone Pet Recovery Cone||$||Clear slots for vision, easily adjustable||9.5/10||See Current Price|
|IN HAND Adjustable Pet Recovery Collar||$||Snap closure for secure fit||9/10||See Current Price|
What is a Dog Recovery Cone?
Recovery cones have been long used by veterinarians to help facilitate a clean and quick recovery for a surgical site or injury. Dogs have a natural tendency to nip at or aggressively lick their wounds, which can lead to nasty things like torn stitches or infections, which can mean even more trips to the vet. A recovery cone is designed to restrict your pet’s access to the wound site so that their recovery can be as quick and easy as possible.
What are the Benefits of using an After Market Dog Recovery Cone?
The designs of these cones seek to maximize comfort and ease of use, while still effectively aiding your dog’s recovery. For example:
- soft, foam cones are especially comfortable for your dog
- far less likely to cause skin irritation around the neck
- also allow your dog to sleep in the cone quite comfortably!
- Some recovery cones are also designed so that they won’t limit your dog’s field of vision, which can be a source of anxiety for many dogs adjusting a cone.
Luckily for us dog owners, there are so many different designs for recovery cones that you can easily shop around for the one which best fits you and your dog’s needs.
FAQ for Dog Cones:
Can you remove the dog cone during the day
Yes, but this should only be done if it’s totally necessary (for example, to clean the cone). If you have to remove the recovery cone for any reason, it’s very important to make sure your dog is fully supervised until you put the cone back on so that he doesn’t unintentionally hurt himself.
Can the dog eat and drink in the cone
If the cone is the correct size and properly adjusted then your dog should have no problem eating or drinking!
How long does my dog need to wear the cone
This completely depends on the nature of your dog’s condition and can vary from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. If you’re not sure how long to keep your dog in a recovery cone, get in contact with your veterinarian!
The Best Dog Cones for Healing
The Original Comfy Cone, Soft Pet Recovery Collar
Summary: The Original Comfy Cone is a foam-padded nylon recovery collar. It comes equipped with velcro straps so it’s easy to adjust and put on/take off. The product also comes with plastic stays to help provide some more sturdy structure to the cone, if necessary.
- It’s available in a wide range of sizes so you can easily find the best fit for your pet.
- Water-resistant and easy to clean.
- The soft foam is much more comfortable than the plastic alternatives.
- Limits peripheral vision, which can be scary to some dogs.
FOCUSPET Dog Cone Collar
Summary: The FOCUSPET Dog Cone is an easily adjustable, padded recovery cone designed for dogs of any size or breed. It’s made with oxford cloth fabric so it’s both water-resistant and easy to wipe clean.
- Comes with attached fluorescent strips to help keep your dog visible and safe in the dark.
- The padding and flexibility mean your dog can comfortably lie down without needing to remove the cone.
- The thick material promotes safety and durability.
- Make sure you get the fitting right! If not applied correctly, it can be easy for your dog to slip out.
Supet Dog Inflatable Pet Recovery Collar
Summary: The Supet Dog Inflatable Collar is an excellent choice if you’re looking for something other than the traditional cone shape. This collar is made to be quickly blown up and fit comfortably around your pet’s neck while still allowing them totally unrestricted visibility and access to food/water.
- You can choose from four sizes: Small (Neck: 7”-10”), Medium (Neck: 11”-14”), Large (Neck: 15”-19”), and X-Large (Neck: 20”-23”).
- Has a conveniently removable cover for easy machine washing.
- This shape of recovery cone may not be suitable for breeds with long snouts/legs/tails, since they can still easily access their wound sites.
ZenPet ProCone Pet Recover Cone
Summary: The ZenPet Procone Pet E-Collar comes in four sizes and aims to help facilitate a comfortable recovery for your pet. This cone combines plastic and padded material so that it’s easily conformable to your pet’s neck while also providing a stress-free experience.
- Comes with built-in plastic windows so your pet’s peripheral vision isn’t limited
- Can be easily attached to your pet’s collar.
- The plastic sections can potentially crack.
IN HAND Adjustable Pet Recovery Collar
Summary: The IN HAND Adjustable Pet Recovery Collar is a plastic recovery cone with a cloth and elastic collar so that it provides both rigidity and visibility while still providing a comfortably snug fit around your dog’s neck. The product comes equipped with a combination of buttons and velcro so it can be easily secured without worrying about it falling off.
- The lightweight plastic allows for total visibility.
- Flexible enough that your dog can still easily lie down while wearing the cone.
- Comes in a lot of different sizes, so be very sure you pick the right one for your pet!
We all know that recovering from an injury can be a difficult process. Just like any injury in a human, part of that recovery is protecting the wound from any potential further harm. Finding the right recovery cone for your pet will do just that, and helps to ensure that the healing process is as pain-free as possible.
Other Great Eco-Friendly Articles
TweetSharePin22 SharesSome of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will …
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive …