Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you
The Best Dog Backpack for Hiking and Backpacking
You love exploring the great outdoors and being in the vast wilderness with your best friend at your side. His little paws easily keep up with your stride, and he beams with excitement on his grand adventures with you. On these long hikes or camping trips, it can be a real drag to carry all of your dog’s things, as well as your own. The solution is to have him carry his own stuff – and maybe some of yours too – with his very own dog backpack.
What is a Dog Backpack for Hiking?
A dog backpack is a harness or pack that your dog wears to help carry their items. We love to use ours for long hikes and especially during backpacking trips. The backpack is perfect to carry water bowls, treats, dog beds for backpacking, and any leashes that aren’t currently being worn. These normally have a front chest strap and a strap that wraps around the belly of your dog to stay in place. One of the unknown benefits that we found is that it helped calm our dog down during hiking. Our normally hyper dog knew that they were “on duty” and stayed closer to use when he was wearing the harness.
How to Use a Dog Backpack
Even though it may seem that using a dog backpack is self explanatory here are a few tips that help make sure you are using it correctly:
- Start with the straps at their loosest position before putting it on. This is will make it easier to put on and adjust equally
- Give your dog plenty of treats to let while you are putting this on so that they know it’s a positive experience everytime they get to wear it.
- Once it is on make sure that the straps aren’t causing a rash or unnecassary wear on your dogs belly or chest
- Make sure that the weight is evenly distributed betwenn the pockets on each side of the pack. If one side is uneven it will continually fall to that side and can cause injuries in your pooch if stays that way long term.
- Spray it down with a hose after every handful of uses to get mud, dirt, rocks, or anything else that might have gotten in the pockets or on the straps.
The Benefits of Using a Dog Backpack for Hiking
A dog backpack will be beneficial to your dog because:
- His mission is to please you – his owner – and he will love the fact that he has a job to do and is contributing to the pack
- It helps him to say calm. He has so much energy, but once you strap that backpack on, he is more focused and it prevents him from roaming or bouncing all over the trails
- He is able to carry his own necessities including his favorite snacks, water bowl, booties, food, and even a canine first aid kit
- It is a more pleasurable experience for you, as he is easier to control due to the fact that he cannot pull as easily based on where the leashes are attached
An additional benefit for you, is that your dog will be easier to spot when he is wearing a dog backpack. Here are some dog backpacks to consider for your favorite hiking buddy:
The Best Hiking Packs for Your Dog
Ruffwear Palisades Dog Backpack
If you believe your dog deserves the best, then consider the Ruffwear Palisades top-of-the-line backpack. It’s comfy and roomy enough to carry all of his food and toys. He will stay cool and hydrated, as the backpack is designed with two collapsible hydration bladders. Its unique design allows you to easily remove saddlebags so your dog can roam free, or on a leash, during rest breaks or while you’re at the campground.
Ruffwear Approach Dog Backpack
The Ruffwear Approach has form fitting saddlebags allow your dog to carry a full load, while retaining his full range of motion. The adjustable straps make it easy to fit, even the hardest to fit canine. Your dog will enjoy wearing this backpack whether it’s for a short walk around town or hiking in the mountains for a day. This is hands down one of our favorite packs and my golden retriever has had hers for 5 years with hardly any signs of wear.
Outward Hound Dog Backpack
The Outward Hound pack is a great backpack for quick day trips around the city or a 2- to 4-hour hiking trail. Its breathable, lightweight design keeps your furry friend cool and comfortable. The snug fit allows him to run through the open fields and bushes with ease. It easily holds enough treats and water for him, with room left over for your keys and a snack.
Mountain Smith K-9 Dog Backpack
Whether you and your hiking buddy are off to the mountains or starting that mile-long hike, the Mountain Smith Dog Backpack well-made vet approved, ergonomically shaped backpack will keep your best friend happy and at ease. He’ll be free to move around because the flexible saddle bags hang naturally from the top portion. The air mesh panels and extra padding under the straps keep your hiking buddy cool and comfortable.
Kurgo Dog Backpack
The Kurgo Dog Backpack is a high-quality dog backpack that is designed for a pleasurable experience while walking, hiking mountain trails, or weekend camping trips. It’s made from high quality material and is fully adjustable for the perfect fit. It’s designed to keep your dog comfortable, visible, and safe in a variety of terrains.
OneTigris Dog Backpack
Made of high-density cotton, the Onetigris Backpack will continue to look good even if your dog rolls around in the dirt or stomps in the mud. It’s designed for ultimate comfort for everyday trips, backpacking, hiking, or camping and is great for those who want a rugged and classic look. The oversized zipper pulls make it easy for you to pull out water, food, and treats for your dog.
When choosing the perfect dog backpack for your best friend, keep his size and temperament in mind. You’ll also want to consider what you’ll be using it for, how long you want it to last, and most of all, the comfort and ease of using it. Happy trails with your fur friend!